The Windows error “Reference By Pointer BSoD Error” is a message that has been popping up on computers with random errors. It’s caused by an overflow in the index of an unsorted linked list, where you must have tried to add more items than what can be stored in memory at one time.
The “stop code reference by pointer windows 10 fix” is a bug check 0x18 error. This error can be caused by the Windows kernel or an application.
Milan Stanojevic is a writer who lives in Belgrade, Serbia.
Expert in Windows and Software
Milan has been fascinated by computers since he was a youngster, and this has led him to be interested in all PC-related technology. He worked as a front-end web developer before joining WindowsReport. Continue reading
9th of December, 2021
Originally published in February 2021.
- On Windows 10, the BSOD error reference by pointer might signal a driver or program problem.
- This error may also be caused by new hardware, particularly if it is defective or counterfeit.
- The stop code for reference by pointer is 0x00000018, and it usually appears with the blue screen.
- Only Safe Mode can generally repair reference by pointer with BSOD.
BY CLICKING ON THE DOWNLOAD FILE, YOU CAN INSTALL XINSTALL.
We propose Restoro PC Repair Tool to address a variety of PC issues: This program will fix common computer faults, protect you against file loss, viruses, and hardware failure, and optimize your PC to run at its best. In three simple actions, you can immediately fix PC problems and eradicate viruses:
- Download the Restoro PC Repair Tool, which includes patent-pending technologies (patent available here).
- To detect Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To correct problems that are hurting your computer’s security and performance, click Repair All.
- This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Because Blue Screen of Death problems are often triggered by a hardware issue, they should not be treated lightly.
Rreference by pointer On Windows 10, the BSoD error (also known as MSDN bugcheck reference by pointer 0x00000018) may be a pain, but there are a few methods to fix it.
When this mistake occurs, your computer will crash. It happens on earlier Windows versions as well as the most recent ones.
This error is sometimes accompanied by the name of the file that generated it. As a result, users have come across:
wdf01000 wdf01000 wdf01000 wdf01000 wdf01000 atikmdag.sys/ tcpip.sys/ ntkrnlpa.exe/ win32k.sys/ sys/ ntoskrnl.exe/ atikmdag.sys/ tcpip.sys/ ntkrnlpa.exe/ win32k.sys
If this occurs, you’ll need to do some digging to figure out which program or driver is causing the problem.
The problem has been caused by the device overclocking on a few instances, therefore think about the recent tasks you’ve ran on it.
Note that most of the methods below will need you to work in Safe Mode if you can’t start your device normally, which is common with a BSOD.
How can I repair the reference by pointer problem on the blue screen?
1. Use a BSOD tool to diagnose the problem.
If you can boot into Safe Mode, the fastest and most reliable approach to solve the problem is to install and run a tool that specializes in such problems.
Restoro is based on an online database that contains the most up-to-date working system files for Windows 10 PCs, enabling you to quickly replace any parts that may be causing a BSoD problem.
This program may also assist you by setting a restore point prior to beginning the repairs, allowing you to quickly restore your system to a previous version if anything goes wrong.
This is how Restoro can help you resolve registry errors:
- Restoro may be downloaded and installed.
- Start up the program.
- Wait for the program to discover any problems with stability or probable file corruption.
- Press the Start Repair button.
- To make all of the changes take effect, restart your computer.
Your PC should perform normally when the repair procedure is done, and you won’t have to worry about BSoD issues or poor reaction times again.
Disclaimer: In order to execute certain specified operations, this software must be updated from the free version.
2. Install the graphics driver in its simplest form.
- Uninstall Display Drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller.
- Run the software when you’ve downloaded it.
- Once the DDU has started, follow the on-screen directions to uninstall your graphics card driver.
The reference by pointer problem was reported to be repaired by AMD owners after installing the minimum version of the graphics card driver. You can use this approach even if you don’t have an AMD graphics card.
After you’ve deleted the driver entirely, you’ll need to download the most recent minimum version of the graphics card driver.
To get the bare-bones version of the graphics card driver, go to the manufacturer’s website, find your graphics card, and download the most recent drivers for it.
Make sure you choose the bare-bones version of the driver, which excludes any superfluous software.
The problem should be permanently repaired after installing the most recent minimum version of the driver.
Remember to keep your graphics card driver up to current at all times. It’s critical to update your drivers as soon as possible since they might cause BSOD errors and crashes.
3. Verify your antivirus software.
Although your antivirus software is essential, it might sometimes interact with Windows and cause the error to occur.
To resolve the issue, turn off your antivirus software and see if it resolves the problem.
If the problem continues, the next step is to uninstall the antivirus program.
It’s a good idea to use a specialist uninstaller application to thoroughly remove the antivirus since uninstalling it isn’t always enough.
Most antivirus software providers have specialized uninstallers, so be sure to download one for your antivirus.
Check to see whether the issue has been repaired after deleting your antivirus. If your antivirus is the source of the problem, it is recommended that you switch to a different antivirus solution.
As a suggestion, you should choose with a robust antivirus that won’t harm your Windows in any manner. For this, you have the finest antivirus software for Windows 10 at your disposal.
4. Get rid of any unwanted program.
- Enter msconfig by pressing Windows Key + R.
- To run it, press Enter or OK.
- Select Selective Startup and deselect Load startup items when the Windows Configuration box appears.
- Select Hide all Microsoft services from the Services tab.
- Now choose Disable all from the drop-down menu.
- Select Open Task Manager from the Startup tab.
- Disable each item on the list by right-clicking it and selecting Disable from the menu.
- Return to the System Configuration window and click Apply and OK once you’ve disabled all startup items.
Check to see whether your computer is steady once it has restarted. If no BSOD messages appear, the issue was most likely triggered by one of the installed apps.
Now all you have to do is discover the problematic program, which you can accomplish by repeating the steps above and enabling apps and services one by one until you find the one that was causing the issue.
Once you’ve identified the issue program, it’s a good idea to uninstall it and see if it fixes the problem.
There are other methods to uninstall a software, but the most effective one is to utilize an uninstaller tool.
There are a lot of good uninstaller programs out there, but we suggest IOBit Uninstaller.
5. Reinstall Windows 10 and format the partition on your hard drive.
When playing video clips in Windows Media Player, users reported getting a reference by pointer BSOD issue.
This problem has been reported to be repaired by reinstalling Windows 10 and formatting your hard drive partition, according to a few customers.
This is an extreme solution, and we strongly advise you to try all other options before reinstalling Windows 10.
You may need to first install the operating system on a flash drive before booting your damaged machine from it.
6. Examine your hardware.
Hardware may cause reference by pointer and other Blue Screen of Death issues, so if you’ve recently installed any new hardware, be sure you uninstall it or replace it.
Faulty hardware, in addition to new hardware, is a common source of BSOD issues.
Faulty RAM is a typical source of these kinds of issues, so be sure to test each of your RAM modules one by one to locate the one that’s broken.
You may use MemTest86+ or any comparable utility to undertake a thorough examination of your RAM.
Check other essential components such as your motherboard, hard drive, and so on whether your RAM is operating correctly.
7. Check to see whether your computer is overheated.
Overheating is one possible source of this issue, so if you’re having trouble, be sure to check your computer’s temperature.
You may do this by using a CPU temperature monitoring program. Keep such a program running in the background after installing it, and keep an eye on your computer’s temperature.
You may need to clean your PC if the temperature of your CPU or GPU rises over the acceptable levels, resulting in a crash.
To do so, just detach your PC from the power source, open the computer case, and clean your components with compressed air.
It’s important to note that opening your computer case may violate your warranty, so keep this in mind. Cleaning your laptop from dust has been claimed to alleviate the issue by some laptop owners, so give it a go.
REFeference by pointer Although the BSOD issue might be frustrating, we hope you were able to resolve it using one of these alternatives.
If that’s the case, let us know what worked for you. Make use of the section for remarks.
Are you still experiencing problems? Use this tool to fix them:
- Download this TrustPilot.com-rated PC Repair Tool (download starts on this page).
- To detect Windows faults that may be causing PC difficulties, click Start Scan.
- To repair faults with Patented Technologies, click Repair All (Exclusive Discount for our readers).
This month, 0 readers have downloaded Restoro.
Most Commonly Asked Questions
Was this page of assistance to you?
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
Start a discussion.
Watch This Video-
The “reference_by_pointer 0x00000018” is a bug check that can occur in Windows. The error is caused by an invalid memory access and it has the following symptoms: blue screen of death, BSOD.
- reference by pointer bsod reddit
- dell stop code reference by pointer
- reference_by_pointer 00000000`00000000
- the computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. the bugcheck was: 0x00000018
- bugcheck 0x00000018